Skip to main content

The charm of Snowshill

When I last left you I was at Broadway tower - after our visit to the cafe we headed off towards Snowshill...sadly in the wrong direction....we turned left too soon....however if we hadn't gone the wrong way we wouldn't have done this....feasted on lovely blackberries off the bush.  Well okay... we did do that at several places but there was a very nice batch here...



Or have seen this...


We finally found our way - along a very narrow road...with me wittering on about possible traffic coming and killing us...yeah right...it was pretty quiet.  The whole walk to Snowshilll  and back was road walking actually.  


Lavender fields - well the remains of them.  They would be glorious in their heyday although I was just as happy - I am allergic to lavender.


Surrounding country side - oops I think that horse was doing some business- or maybe just swatting flies. 

And here we are!!!  


I love pretty doors!

View from the churchyard


We walked in here and then out again...we wanted a cream tea...not a drink. (wow that's a first)

St Barnabas Church

War memorial in church yard
As you can see, Snowshill was a lovely little village. 

We then carried on walking out of town until we reached Snowshill Manor.  It is a big tourist attraction in these parts but we were more interested in the cream tea.  When we went up to the admission desk we were told we had to buy a ticket to see the property to enter the cafe.  Seeing the crestfallen look on our faces ("please, all we want is a cream tea"!) the sweet young gal let us go in.   And so we did and did not stop - well except to use the loo....

Come to mama!!! 

Scones, preserves, clotted cream and tea...and utter bliss!

After enjoying our lovely tea and thanking the gal at the front desk (and another stop at the loo) we hit the road again....back on the road to Broadway.  (our map did not have a walking path for the route we wanted to walk) 

We walked between Gloucestershire and Worcestershire (where Broadway is).  Being as Gloucestershire is my "homeland" (well half of it) so to speak I had to have a picture of me with the sign.  (well it made sense at the time)

As we approached Broadway we came to this beautiful church...St Eadburgha's church.  St Eadburgha may be an alternative spelling of St Edburga - an English saint from the 7th century.   The church's isolated position outside of the village of Broadway could have been because of fear of the plague...

June showing how it's done...me..I believe I went through the gate!
On our way back into town we stopped to say hi to this character and he tried to steal Tready bear!!!  (ormaybe he just wanted to  love her up)
What a beautiful walk we had that day.  Snowshill was a little gem and the view from Broadway Tower was astounding.  Walking on the roads was not a problem as they were fairly quiet.  There was room to jump off the side when a vehicle did come by.  We got to experience so much more than whizzing by in a car.  A great day!!!

Comments

Unknown said…
The best way to see the Cotswolds or any part of the world is by walking! I am definitely going back as well! The weather was great, the people so friendly and helpful, and the company I had was perfect! Laurie, thank you so much for allowing me to be part of your wonderful walks around that gorgeous area of England! You took me under your wing and I learned a lot from you and your many travel experiences.

June

Popular posts from this blog

A walk from Westminster to St Paul's Cathedral

I have decided to put the Thames Path on hold until I am back in London next month and we have more Spring like weather...I will be going into a more rural area that is prone to flooding as well.  I am staying at about five miles maximum a day as well...my knees and feet have been giving me major grief so I am not pushing myself. However that doesn't mean I don't want to walk.  One of my favourite British Walking Federation walks is one that starts at Westminster tube station and covers 10km to St Katherines Docks just east of the Tower of London.  Yesterday I walked as far as St Paul's and will do the rest of the walk in the next couple of days.  Normally I do this entire 10 km walk my first day in London but not this time... So here are some of the highlights along the way....what a gorgeous day it was.  A different view of Big Ben Can you believe this was my first time on Parliament Square Another hero on Parliament Square Classic ...

The Colourful houses of Mazatlan, Mexico

Well this isn't even Throwback Thursday and I am reminiscing about my (all too short) week in Mazatlan, Mexcico in January of 2010.  It was one of my best holidays EVER.  I stayed in a delightful little hotel called La Siesta which was on the waterfront in the central part of town.(known as centro) overlooking the ocean.   I walked around the town photographing buildings, ocean views, dogs....visited the Mercado, attended a fantastic Flamenco dance performance in the restored Teatro (theatre), toasted the sunset with a beer from my balcony every evening and ate at some wonderful restaurants.  I also took a couple of day trips which were okay but my time in Mazatlan overshadowed anything else I did. My one foray into the Gold (tourist) Zone left me horrified and scampering back to my beloved Centro.  And did I mention I did this as a solo trip?  Mexico has had a lot of bad press lately and while there ARE bad things going on there I still believe the average...

Cowboys and Outlaws in the Big Muddy of Saskatchewan

One of the (very) few advantages of being stuck at home during this pandemic has been an opportunity to see more of my home province of Saskatchewan.  Last summer and fall not only did I do a couple of day trips with friends but I took four day tours with Engelheim transport, a local Regina company.   I have to admit my favourite day out was the "Big Muddy Valley and Outlaws" tour. While I had been to the Big Muddy previously many years back I was eager to revisit and learn more of its history.   So in early October, I hopped on board and off we went.  The bus is only booked to half capacity so it was easy to social distance, hand gel was a must each time we boarded the bus,  masks were required when you got on and off the bus and in any buildings we visited.  I felt totally safe and oh my, it was so good to have an adventure!!  Despite the name the Big Muddy isn't a big huge puddle of mud but a valley of badlands that were formed from a glac...