Skip to main content

A stroll around Notting Hill

When I woke up this morning I didn't know what I would do.  Lots of ideas in my head but nothing definite. On the spur of the moment I decided to snoop around Notting Hill - what a good choice I made!  It was dull and overcast today but the brilliant colours of the area more than made up for it.  A bus and tube trip later and I was there.  I had downloaded and printed off a walk from the Lonely Planet guide at home so followed that as well as looking for specific buildings I had read about previously.  So here we go...off to explore Notting Hill.  (watch out for Hugh!)

Hillgate Village - a first for me...beautiful!  

You know you want to see another picture right? 




Pretty, pretty.  Hillgate Village is on the other side of Notting Hill from the market area. 


I love this movie! 

Now we are on Portobello Road - famous for the market and some of the main scenes from the movie Notting Hill. 



Portobello mushrooms on Portobello road..



This is the house (well, the outside!)  where Hugh lived with his crazy roommate Spike. 






On St Luke's Mews...adorable!!! 


This was where the bookstore was supposed to be.  There is a Notting Hill bookshop but it has nothing to be with the movie. 




Met this charming gentleman on Portobello Road  ""walking"his dog.  She is sixteen years old and this is how she rolls...:)  
I thoroughly enjoyed my walk around the area and not being a Saturday the market was not on.  Much quieter and that's how I prefer it. There were still lots of shops and enough street vendors but not the mad house it is on market day.  I treated myself to lunch at a local greasy spoon frequented by locals followed by a mulled wine sold on the street...last one of the season no doubt....  I was able to buy a couple of gifts as well.  A wonderful time!

I debated on walking over to Kensington but I decided that was enough and headed back to be with Emma.  One of the great pleasures of being here in London for an extended amount of time is there is no need to hurry.

I hope you enjoyed seeing these photos and coming with me on my walk as much as I enjoyed it!




Comments

Marie Lacey said…
Oh Laurie! What an absolutely wonderful adventure you had today! Love all the pictures! Next time I will explore too. ��

Popular posts from this blog

A walk from Westminster to St Paul's Cathedral

I have decided to put the Thames Path on hold until I am back in London next month and we have more Spring like weather...I will be going into a more rural area that is prone to flooding as well.  I am staying at about five miles maximum a day as well...my knees and feet have been giving me major grief so I am not pushing myself. However that doesn't mean I don't want to walk.  One of my favourite British Walking Federation walks is one that starts at Westminster tube station and covers 10km to St Katherines Docks just east of the Tower of London.  Yesterday I walked as far as St Paul's and will do the rest of the walk in the next couple of days.  Normally I do this entire 10 km walk my first day in London but not this time... So here are some of the highlights along the way....what a gorgeous day it was.  A different view of Big Ben Can you believe this was my first time on Parliament Square Another hero on Parliament Square Classic ...

The Colourful houses of Mazatlan, Mexico

Well this isn't even Throwback Thursday and I am reminiscing about my (all too short) week in Mazatlan, Mexcico in January of 2010.  It was one of my best holidays EVER.  I stayed in a delightful little hotel called La Siesta which was on the waterfront in the central part of town.(known as centro) overlooking the ocean.   I walked around the town photographing buildings, ocean views, dogs....visited the Mercado, attended a fantastic Flamenco dance performance in the restored Teatro (theatre), toasted the sunset with a beer from my balcony every evening and ate at some wonderful restaurants.  I also took a couple of day trips which were okay but my time in Mazatlan overshadowed anything else I did. My one foray into the Gold (tourist) Zone left me horrified and scampering back to my beloved Centro.  And did I mention I did this as a solo trip?  Mexico has had a lot of bad press lately and while there ARE bad things going on there I still believe the average...

Cowboys and Outlaws in the Big Muddy of Saskatchewan

One of the (very) few advantages of being stuck at home during this pandemic has been an opportunity to see more of my home province of Saskatchewan.  Last summer and fall not only did I do a couple of day trips with friends but I took four day tours with Engelheim transport, a local Regina company.   I have to admit my favourite day out was the "Big Muddy Valley and Outlaws" tour. While I had been to the Big Muddy previously many years back I was eager to revisit and learn more of its history.   So in early October, I hopped on board and off we went.  The bus is only booked to half capacity so it was easy to social distance, hand gel was a must each time we boarded the bus,  masks were required when you got on and off the bus and in any buildings we visited.  I felt totally safe and oh my, it was so good to have an adventure!!  Despite the name the Big Muddy isn't a big huge puddle of mud but a valley of badlands that were formed from a glac...