Skip to main content

Beautiful day on Holy Island

Well what a day I had!  It was absolutely marvelous and the weather while blustery was sunny.   This will just be a quick photo essay on what I did as I want to go into more detail with history, etc. on the island.  With the name as you can imagine it had its origins in Christianity.

Let's just say I got my sheep fix today and explored the first of three castles I will be visiting in Northumberland.

Holy Island is reached by a causeway that is only open when the tide is out.  I could go either today or Saturday so I chose today thinking a week day would be quieter.  I chose wisely as it was pretty quiet.  I still can't get over the weather; I was very lucky.

As it turned out the other couple here at the B and B (which is fabulous by the way) - Eddie and Glynnis from Derbyshire were going as well so we traveled together on the bus and kept bumping into one another.   We couldn't come back until 6:30 due to the tide and it was a long day but it gave me lots of time to explore.  They are a friendly couple and I may be tagging along with them to Bamburgh Castle and Sea Houses tomorrow; we shall see.  Berwick itself will be worth a day of exploration.


No people in my picture - gotta love it!




I walked along a path behind the castle and could have kept walking but I was sensible - I want to be able to move tomorrow.  I wish I had worn my Garmin as it would be interesting to see how miles I locked today.  It would be impressive I am sure.



Part of St Mary's church and Lindisfarne Priory


Lindisfarne Priory

St Mary's church


War memorial on highest point of Holy Island



And that's all she wrote - time to crawl into bed and relax.  I am tired!

Comments

Unknown said…
Laurie! What a fabulous journal and beautiful photos! You need to write a book !
Marie Lacey.

Popular posts from this blog

A walk from Westminster to St Paul's Cathedral

I have decided to put the Thames Path on hold until I am back in London next month and we have more Spring like weather...I will be going into a more rural area that is prone to flooding as well.  I am staying at about five miles maximum a day as well...my knees and feet have been giving me major grief so I am not pushing myself. However that doesn't mean I don't want to walk.  One of my favourite British Walking Federation walks is one that starts at Westminster tube station and covers 10km to St Katherines Docks just east of the Tower of London.  Yesterday I walked as far as St Paul's and will do the rest of the walk in the next couple of days.  Normally I do this entire 10 km walk my first day in London but not this time... So here are some of the highlights along the way....what a gorgeous day it was.  A different view of Big Ben Can you believe this was my first time on Parliament Square Another hero on Parliament Square Classic ...

The Colourful houses of Mazatlan, Mexico

Well this isn't even Throwback Thursday and I am reminiscing about my (all too short) week in Mazatlan, Mexcico in January of 2010.  It was one of my best holidays EVER.  I stayed in a delightful little hotel called La Siesta which was on the waterfront in the central part of town.(known as centro) overlooking the ocean.   I walked around the town photographing buildings, ocean views, dogs....visited the Mercado, attended a fantastic Flamenco dance performance in the restored Teatro (theatre), toasted the sunset with a beer from my balcony every evening and ate at some wonderful restaurants.  I also took a couple of day trips which were okay but my time in Mazatlan overshadowed anything else I did. My one foray into the Gold (tourist) Zone left me horrified and scampering back to my beloved Centro.  And did I mention I did this as a solo trip?  Mexico has had a lot of bad press lately and while there ARE bad things going on there I still believe the average...

Cowboys and Outlaws in the Big Muddy of Saskatchewan

One of the (very) few advantages of being stuck at home during this pandemic has been an opportunity to see more of my home province of Saskatchewan.  Last summer and fall not only did I do a couple of day trips with friends but I took four day tours with Engelheim transport, a local Regina company.   I have to admit my favourite day out was the "Big Muddy Valley and Outlaws" tour. While I had been to the Big Muddy previously many years back I was eager to revisit and learn more of its history.   So in early October, I hopped on board and off we went.  The bus is only booked to half capacity so it was easy to social distance, hand gel was a must each time we boarded the bus,  masks were required when you got on and off the bus and in any buildings we visited.  I felt totally safe and oh my, it was so good to have an adventure!!  Despite the name the Big Muddy isn't a big huge puddle of mud but a valley of badlands that were formed from a glac...