Skip to main content

A winter in Vancouver - week two

It's hard to believe that my second full week in Vancouver is over and I am in into the third.  Week two has been just as busy as week one! 

Let's see... we left off last Friday - exactly a week ago.  Sadly due to my reaction to the delicious potato and smoked salmon soup I had to cancel out of two walks.  I tried their other soup a Ham and split pea, last night and I am happy to report I am just fine so I will try some different ones when I am next at Lonsdale Quay - just not the potato and salmon!  

Later on Friday I felt well enough to go out and do the walk in nearby Coquitlam.  Just that day I had read that the Christmas lights were still on at Lafarge Lake so I headed out on the sky train at about 3:30.   The sign in was at a shoe store and I must say I saw a few pairs I liked but no" mustn't get distracted Laurie, get going"  The walk took me across a small park and past an enclosed dog run where I had to have a quick look of course.  




And then I got to Lafarge Lake.... 








I was enjoying it so much I had to go around a second time because of course it grew darker and the illuminations were that much prettier.  

As it was dark by now I didn't totally finish the walk (the end bit required I walk down a dark path...nope!) so will have to go back and finish it up and have a better snoop in the shopping mall...and that shoe store!!! 

The lights ended on Sunday of last weekend so I am so happy that a chance "google" let me know that this was happening.  

Saturday was a rest day to catch up with my journal, watch some recorded television and Netflix...I won't tell you how many episodes of "Grace and Frankie" I watched!  

Sunday I headed out to Richmond to spend the day with my friend Darlene.  She met me at the Lansdown Skytrain station and we headed back to her place for lunch and a visit.  Darlene and I have been penpals since 1966 or 1967 (we can't really remember) when she lived in Winnipeg.  She has lived in Richmond since the early 70's. Every time I come to Vancouver we have a visit.  We get along great and never run out of things to yak about. I was an awkward and shy teenager (let's just say I wasn't popular and leave it at that) and I think I started writing penpals from an ad in Tiger Beat or some such thing.  I think at one point I had 60 penpals and I loved it.  It grew into my most interesting and loved hobby.  It changed my life is so many ways - for one thing I had friends all over the world which made me curious and sparked the travel bug and I think it got me interested in writing as the years went by as not only did I write letters constantly but I wrote travel reports for my international friends to read. I can't even imagine not having my far flung friends - what would it be like to only have friends that live in your own city or province?  Glad I don't know!  The internet has changed things and while I don't write as many letters I am still in touch with so many friends via Facebook and email.  Many people trash Facebook but I love it as I can see what my friends around the world are up to on almost a daily basis rather than a letter every few months.  

Oh okay I got a bit off topic.  Anyway Darlene and I had a great visit and her husband Bob and I did the 5 km Steveston walk along the Fraser river.  Bob was a great guide pointing things out and we had quick looks into the buildings at the Britannia Shipyards National Historic Site which houses former canneries, boatyards and residences from the 19th century.  




A monument to Japanese fishermen 





One of the buildings in Britannia shipyard - this one now houses the information centre. 



After walking along the riverside path we diverted to a path beside an open field - the mountains are on the North Shore of Vancouver. 



This is a dentist office!  Now wouldn't it be easier to tell a kid they are going to Chompers rather than the dentist?  



You can see the shadow of Mount Baker in Washington state looming over everything.  

Back at Darlene's we carried on our visit and later we headed out for dinner to a pub where I had the special of the day - Roast beef with roast potatoes, Yorkshire pudding and veggies.  Delicious!!  Darlene and Bob drove me back to the skytrain - what a wonderful day!! 

Monday was a bit of a late start...but I had a movie to go to at 7:30 and I didn't want to be out all day wandering.   After a few stops and starts (I will spare you the boring details) I decided to do a 5 km walk of downtown, Gastown and Chinatown.  It was a lovely day out so I enjoyed every minute of the walk. 

I loved this art installation by Dale Chihuly called "Persian Wall"..



And then the walk took me down to the water, to Canada Place beside Burrard Inlet and looking over to the North Shore mountains...




The Canadian Trail runs alongside the sails of Canada Place in the picture above this one.  It has the names of a lot of Canadian cities and towns embedded in the pavement. 



Including mine!! 



The line of trees is Stanley Park - that is still on the list.  Every time I visit I walk the 10km seawall and this time will be no exception.  I will know when the right day comes and I will do it on my own when I can sit down and enjoy the view (many times!) and take a zillion pictures.   



Seaplanes are constantly buzzing in and out of the harbour.  I have been lucky enough to fly on them a couple of times - such a thrill!  


Here is the seabus making its way across to downtown Vancouver from Lonsdale Quay in North Vancouver (remember, I was there last week!) - the journey takes 12 minutes.  

After I had feasted on this beautiful scenery (I could watch seaplanes taking off and landing all day long but for some reason while I was there I only saw one land - just as well, I never would have left!) I headed off towards Gastown which is the oldest downtown area of Vancouver.  

It has cobblestones but also loads of souvenir shops and is a tourist haven.  Could be why I don't much care for it myself but it was part of the walk so I soldiered on. 



Here's the famous Steamclock.  Despite looking Victorian it was built in 1977 and indicates the time by steam and whistles.  I caught the tail end of it indicating 2 p.m.!! 


I thought this was funny. 




Meet "gassy Jack".  Why gassy?  No not that...okay maybe who knows...but the "official" reason is that he talked a lot.  A Yorkshire native who hailed from Hull, he was the first settler in the area and owned the first bar.  Obviously a local character - and that's how Gastown got its name. 



On to Chinatown - Vancouver's Chinatown is the largest in Canada and the third largest in North America. (after New York and San Francisco) 



Time for lunch!  This place had a sign that it was recommended by CNN.  I am pretty sure I was here previously with my friend Julie.   I decided to order Wor Wonton soup as I was a bit chilly and thought soup would hit the spot.  And it did. 



They also sold fresh still warm buns - so I had to get a coconut bun "for the road".  The line up to buy the pastries was very long when I walked in.  Obviously a popular place with locals as well as tourists and I would definitely go there again. 




I headed back to downtown where I hunkered down in the library to catch up with my journal and do a bit of reading.   

I should have stayed there as they have coffee shops, etc. in the lobby of the library.  Instead I headed over in the direction of the movie theatre hoping to find a coffee shop but all I could find was Starbucks.  I prefer to try out locally owned coffee shops both at home and when I travel. 

The movie I saw was a short 50 minute film called "Bruce McMouse" which featured a group of mice living under a stage where Paul McCartney and Wings performed in the early 70's.  Once was more than enough for me.  Paul looked (very) hot despite wearing horrible 70's outfits that made me cringe but it just wasn't enough for me.  Even the mice weren't cute and believe me I love my mice.  Oh well, I saw it but once was enough. 

Tuesday morning I met my walking friend Connie at the Burrard sky train station and we took a bus over the Burrard Street Bridge where we got off and walked over to the Museum of Vancouver.  Connie is a volunteer so was a great guide and I enjoyed my time there.  The highlight for me was the Haida art exhibition.  The Haida First Nations reside on Haida Gwaii, formerly known as the Queen Charlotte Islands off the northern coast of British Columbia.  It is someplace I would love to visit some day but I likely won't make it.  






There was also a section in the museum on life in Vancouver through the "ages".  I loved the photo below of getting a perm in the 40's.  Looks like torture to me!! 


We spent a couple of hours there.  The museum is small but well worth a visit especially when you go with a volunteer - the price was right too. (and I shall say no more!)  

We then walked over to a nearby cafe which was a place I might like to return to one day...and had muffin and coffee/tea.  I tried a tea misto - a first for me.  It is brewed tea with steamed milk on top.  Hmmm...I think I will give that one a pass in the future but I always like to try something once.   

Oh did I mention it was raining?  My umbrella got its first real Vancouver work out.  Connie and I parted ways and I headed back to Burnaby and hunkered down reading and yes, watching more "Grace and Frankie"....

Wednesday was another walk - this time in Delta which is south (way south) of downtown.  Brenda (who is BC director of the Volkssport Canada) and her husband Frank picked me up at the King George sky train station (which I keep calling Prince George or King Edward - it varies).  I met up with about 20 other walkers who were all friendly but walked like lightening.  I was soon left behind but Brenda stayed with me and we chatted for most of the walk - I have known Brenda for a while and if you think I travel a lot well you haven't met Brenda and Frank!   They had an appointment to get to so when I started slowing down (we were going at quite a pace for me) I let Brenda go ahead and I walked the last ten minutes on my own.  No pictures as the 5 km walk was just around an ordinary neighbourhood - can I say boring.  The positive was I got to visit with Brenda and I got a work out!!!  I got back to the coffee shop and chatted with the other 5 km walkers who had been back for a while and downed water like a mad woman!  I got the bus - or should I say buses back to King George and back here to rest.  I was worn out!!!  

Thursday yet another walk - meeting a group at Chapters on Granville and Broadway.  I must say I would love to get locked in that Chapters book store overnight.  Just leave the coffee machine on okay?  Anyway Verni was there as well so she, Dianne (a new walking buddy who is so much fun) and I walked the 5k together and we had such fun.  We took our time, chatting and laughing.  I must say that that morning I was a bit grumpy and stood on the skytrain platform with all the commuters thinking "I am retired - what the hell am I doing waiting in rush hour at 8 a.m."   It was all worth it!  The walk went through a nice residential area and along the Arbutus Greenway,   The portion of the rails to trails path we walked wasn't the most attractive but it was still fun.  We came across a "farm garden" which is a non profit and the lady working there was friendly and welcoming.  Being winter the garden wasn't at its best but it was still fun to visit.  We ended the walk at a cafe called "Tractor" - maybe because it was healthy and tractors are on farms dealing with food????  I don't know...I had a brussel sprouts salad and it was so good.  I do love my sprouts!!!  











I loved this garden with all the quirky things in it.  



I also loved this note left on a new swing...

It wasn't the most scenic walk but it was fun and I got to explore a new neighbourhood that I normally never would have seen.  

We parted ways and I headed back to Burnaby.  I stepped into the front carriage of the skytrain and the single seat in the very front was available so I thought why not.  I loved it!  Not only could I see the tracks ahead when we went underground but the scenery ahead.  It was so much fun and I want to do it again!!!  



This was a quick look to the side of Science World - someplace I have never been to YET....



And that's a wrap on week two!  

Today I am having a quiet day or as I said to my friend Darlene " a day off".   I will be heading out soon to get some cash out and do a few errands but no walks planned for today.  

Now tomorrow...that's a different story. It will be a full day!!!  

I am enjoying my stay here so much.  I thought perhaps I would be lonely but it is the perfect combination of having company and doing my own thing.  I try to get out for a route walk four to five times a week. 

Week three looks like it's going to be another good one! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peeing on fish or a fish out of water

Well this morning we headed off by boat to Siem Reap.  Due to the low water on the Tonie Sap Lake (more like a river until near the end of the trip when it widened considerably) the trip would be an 8 hour one... It was supposed to be boring but ended up as anything but...in no certain order...let's see.... We had a rest stop (turned out to be the only one) along the way and the loo was just a hole over the lake and there were fish circling around underneath.  Yes it was just a hole in the floor...you definitely had someone watch your stuff while you went in or one false move and your camera/purse or whatever would be in the lake.  The fish either like the warm pee coming in or they are pervs and like to see ladies parts.  We were just a few minutes out when all of a sudden there was something flying over me and jumping all over the floor - a little fish!  Guess he wanted to join the tour.  Roger reached down and scooped him up while I hooted and hollered.  Okay it wasn&#

A walk along the coffin trail (and a couple of lakes) in the Lake District

While in the Lake District I wanted to do some light walking but not heavy duty hiking where I could easily get lost and my body not found for days partially eaten by hungry...sheep?  Anyway, you get the drift...not too grueling and safe for a solo walker.  I get a bit nervous when I am too far from civilization. There are lots of books about walking in the Lake District but they seem to be all about walking the fells in remote places...neither Thelma nor I fancied that.  While browsing in the post office/shop in Ambleside one day (if you are ever in Ambleside you must go there - a treasure!) I found a stand of walk descriptions on post cards.  And there I found my walk.  After all who could resist a stroll on the "coffin trail" in William Wordsworth country... I took a look and thought hmm...cafe along the route...that works for me. (with at least the security of knowing there was an available "loo" along the way.)  Okay, I may not have totally followed the

The highlights of my Fall 2023 trip

I'm back home after a great six weeks away. This was a "short" trip for me.  So here we go with an overview of my trip.   London London for me is always a good idea.  I fell in love with it back in the mid 70's and it's been calling me back ever since. Some of the best things in my life have happened in London.  When I learned my two Oz friends Loraine and Linda were going to be in London in the fall I knew I had to be there.  And what fun we had!!  Of course, I did loads of other things as well.  I spent two weeks there from mid September until very early October and then back again for four nights at the end of October before flying home.   After over five years (delayed for two and a half years thanks to Covid) of walking, I finally finished the 126 km Capital Ring.  The picture above is taken at the end of my walk and where I started in May of 2018 at the main door of Streatham Common station just steps from my B and B.  What a walk!  I got to see so much more