Skip to main content

Gallivanting around Guernsey - The final part!

It's been over a year since my week in Guernsey so let's put this post sequence to bed once and for all.  After visiting Castle Cornet the day before I headed over to the Occupation Museum on the bus.  

I found the museum so very interesting and I learned so much more about the German occupation of Guernsey during World War II.  Here are a few of the highlights.  














Times were very hard during the German Occupation of Guernsey.  Livestock was taken to the continent to feed the German forces so the residents attempted to survive on the vegetables they could grow (when they weren't confiscated by the Germans) as shop rations gradually dwindled and soon a barter system took place - IF you had something to barter with.  Even the German soldiers themselves were starving as the war carried on and supply runs to Guernsey from Germany were cut off by the British and her allies.  Most families had a German soldier living with them due to lack of housing.  It is referred to as the German occupation and not the Nazi occupation because in many cases friendships were formed between the islanders and the soldiers. Even romantic trysts weren't unusual although these were heavily frowned upon.  I was told that there have been former German soldiers that have visited Guernsey over the years as they had fond memories of the island and the kindness shown to them by some of the residents.  Guernsey was considered a "soft" posting. So many of the young men were sent off to war without really understanding why they were there and missing their families and homes dreadfully.  Yet evil still existed on the island such as the assassinations of residents like Louis Berrier as mentioned above and the brutal treatment of the Eastern European slaves brought over to build the fortresses - many died of starvation or from beatings.  There are many books about the occupation or if you prefer something lighter I recommend reading "The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society" or watching the movie on Netflix. (although it isn't filmed on Guernsey but in Devon) 


I was going to leave it but my spelling OCD is kicking in too badly - they spelled "Canadian" wrong.  I hate incorrect spelling! 



Just so we're clear on this...cigarettes in the UK are called fags....please excuse the quality of these photos.  All the letters and posters were behind glass. 

Close to the museum is a road and path leading down to Petit Bot Bay which is supposedly one of the prettiest bays on the island.  I say supposedly because due to excessive mud on the path (it had rained a lot) my shoes were squishing into the muck and I was afraid I would either become stuck in the mud or fall flat on my face!  I guess I will have to save that adventure for next time and dry weather - unfortunately, there is no public bus access to the bay.  So I headed back to Cobo Bay instead...




There was a method to my madness; I wanted to try the Guernsey Bean Pot soup at the Coba tea room and I wasn't disappointed.  It may look a bit disgusting but it certainly didn't taste that way. 



Here's the recipe if you want to make it!! 



Then I hopped yet another bus over to Rousse Tower where I decided to do a walk to Pembroke Bay.  The day before I had picked up a brochure called "Tasty Walks" and this one looked particularly interesting.  



Not a bad place to wait for a bus...a place to perch and a beautiful view...




There were some great views of the Rousse Tower at the beginning of this walk. 



Vale Parish Church - at this point the path was beside the sea but I had to cross the road to snoop in this churchyard.  



I couldn't resist a walk along this beach...





There are many towers along the coast which were built during the Napoleonic era as the Channel Islands were at risk of being invaded by the French.  These were reinforced by the Germans during the Occupation. 






Then the path turned inland and alongside a golf course which ALWAYS makes me nervous...but before I knew it I was at Pembroke Bay.  The walk was about 75 minutes and I enjoyed it immensely.   






I had just missed my bus so walked around the area a bit.  My bladder made me go hunting and I found a cafe so had to sit down and have a cuppa. (that's how my days go...drink tea, pee, drink tea, pee....etc. etc. etc.)  Needless to say, I missed another bus!  Ah well, no worries; I was on holiday.  

The next morning I headed into town and did a bit of shopping.  As I just had eaten a light breakfast I opted for a....



Cappuccino and a cherry almond croissant...rather a miserable dull day but still a gorgeous view looking out over the harbour towards Castle Cornet... my host at the Bed and Breakfast had told me not to miss the Little Chapel so off I went...





The view around it wasn't bad either.









As you can see a lot of it was created from broken mugs!  I was the only visitor on this dank wet day. 



There is a gift shop near the property.  My purchase?  A little tub of yummy Strawberry Guernsey ice cream.  I realized I hadn't had any yet and time was a-wastin'. 

The next morning dawned with more showers but I didn't let that stop me.  After a last hearty breakfast I brought my luggage down so my room could be cleaned - yes it was time to head off for the next adventure.  Almost, that is.  I jumped on the bus to the Folk Museum in Saumarez Park.  It was an enjoyable time there - I love history and seeing how ordinary people lived back through the ages.  My photos sucked though so nope, not sharing them.  




I think the park would be pretty on a nice day! 

I then headed back into St Peter Port where I visited the Tapestry Museum which depicts the history of Guernsey through the ages.  No photos allowed but I did buy a set of postcards.  





The ten tapestries each represent a century in Guernsey's one thousand year history and were created by each of Guernsey's ten parishes.  Such amazing detail and so beautiful - the postcards do not do them justice.  

Then it was time to head back to the guest house to pick up my luggage.  David, one of the hosts kindly offered to drive me to the ferry terminal with his Jack Russell doggie riding shotgun.  



I decided to splurge and for 13 pounds I upgraded to a private lounge with complimentary newspapers, tea/coffee and biscuits.  That said, it was still a long overnight journey to Portsmouth.  I didn't have to share my space which was nice and no screaming kids to bother me either. (yay!) 

My week on Guernsey was fun and I'd definitely recommend a visit there as it's got something for everyone - unless you like a wild nightlife.  Then...nope!  Will I revisit?  You just never know! 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A walk from Westminster to St Paul's Cathedral

I have decided to put the Thames Path on hold until I am back in London next month and we have more Spring like weather...I will be going into a more rural area that is prone to flooding as well.  I am staying at about five miles maximum a day as well...my knees and feet have been giving me major grief so I am not pushing myself. However that doesn't mean I don't want to walk.  One of my favourite British Walking Federation walks is one that starts at Westminster tube station and covers 10km to St Katherines Docks just east of the Tower of London.  Yesterday I walked as far as St Paul's and will do the rest of the walk in the next couple of days.  Normally I do this entire 10 km walk my first day in London but not this time... So here are some of the highlights along the way....what a gorgeous day it was.  A different view of Big Ben Can you believe this was my first time on Parliament Square Another hero on Parliament Square Classic ...

The Colourful houses of Mazatlan, Mexico

Well this isn't even Throwback Thursday and I am reminiscing about my (all too short) week in Mazatlan, Mexcico in January of 2010.  It was one of my best holidays EVER.  I stayed in a delightful little hotel called La Siesta which was on the waterfront in the central part of town.(known as centro) overlooking the ocean.   I walked around the town photographing buildings, ocean views, dogs....visited the Mercado, attended a fantastic Flamenco dance performance in the restored Teatro (theatre), toasted the sunset with a beer from my balcony every evening and ate at some wonderful restaurants.  I also took a couple of day trips which were okay but my time in Mazatlan overshadowed anything else I did. My one foray into the Gold (tourist) Zone left me horrified and scampering back to my beloved Centro.  And did I mention I did this as a solo trip?  Mexico has had a lot of bad press lately and while there ARE bad things going on there I still believe the average...

Cowboys and Outlaws in the Big Muddy of Saskatchewan

One of the (very) few advantages of being stuck at home during this pandemic has been an opportunity to see more of my home province of Saskatchewan.  Last summer and fall not only did I do a couple of day trips with friends but I took four day tours with Engelheim transport, a local Regina company.   I have to admit my favourite day out was the "Big Muddy Valley and Outlaws" tour. While I had been to the Big Muddy previously many years back I was eager to revisit and learn more of its history.   So in early October, I hopped on board and off we went.  The bus is only booked to half capacity so it was easy to social distance, hand gel was a must each time we boarded the bus,  masks were required when you got on and off the bus and in any buildings we visited.  I felt totally safe and oh my, it was so good to have an adventure!!  Despite the name the Big Muddy isn't a big huge puddle of mud but a valley of badlands that were formed from a glac...